A look at the Cosmos

My second astronomy presentation was today, and it too was a lot of fun. In looking over my last post it struck me how tired I must have been when I wrote it, as I think I used the word "very" about six times in the first paragraph. So I promise I won't do that again.

After getting home I sat down and watched the first episode of the television series "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, Ann Druyan & Steven Soter. It's been quite a number of years since I've watched this program, but it is still inspiring and I think it would make a very good basis to wrap a introductory science class around. Now there are only thirteen episodes in the series, so they would have to be spaced out if you wanted to make them last but the scope of this series was so immense that I believe it could easily be used.

In this first episode Dr. Sagan introduced the concept of critical thinking as he dealt with such topics as the size of the universe, stellar birth and death, how Eratosthenes determined that the earth's surface is curved, the library of Alexandria, Ptolemy's concept of an earth centre universe, humanities place in the cosmos, and much more.

This series is highly recommend to everybody with a curious mind.

TTFN

Comments

Popular Posts