2018-08-13

"Food: Delicious Science" PBS video presented by Dr. Michael Morley & James Wong



Publisher:Arlington, VA : PBS, [2017]
Edition:Widescreen edition.
ISBN:9781531701918
Characteristics: 1 videodisc (180 min.) :,sound, color ;,4 3/4 in.

This week I'm going to review a video I watched recently. Thus video is the scientific story behind what we eat, why we eat it, and what effects it has on us. It is hosted by Dr. Michael Morley, and botanist James Wong.

The two hosts take a look at three different aspects of food. It starts by examining the chemical basis for the food we eat, how this affects our brains, and creates cravings. The second segment takes a look at taste, and what makes our food taste delicious. Third and final chapter takes apart our favourite meals to examine chemically how food keeps our bodies fit and healthy.

I found this series of programs to be extremely interesting, and very informative. There are some things that either Dr. Morley or Mr. Wong ate that you'd never get me anywhere near (such as pickled sheeps brains, or ridiculously hot peppers), but then again some things are definitely acquired tastes - and I don't wish to acquire them. Mind you haggis is an acquired tastes as well, but that's another story.

I definitely recommend this 3 part series to anybody who is interested in food, cooking, and how the two areas can be looked at in a scientific manner.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. But please check out the page entitled "A Comment About Comments" up at the top.

Going on Hiatus

 Greetings, I have decided to put a hold on doing further book reviews for a while. In fact I'm not sure if I will resume doing reviews ...