2019-04-01

"Farmer in the Sky" by Robert A. Heinlein (1908-1988)



Publisher: Ballentine Del Rey Books
Copyright: 1950
ISBN: 0-345-24375-7

Farmer in the Sky is the fourth book in the Heinlein Juveniles series, originally published by Scribners in 1950.

The story revolves around Bill Lerner a teenager who immigrates to Ganymede to join the colony there and become a homesteader. Earth at this time is in pretty bad shape with a very high population, and a poor economy. The idea to immigrate is Bill's father George's, and Bill decides to go along. At first George forbids it, but then gives in when he realizes that a family has a better chance of immigrating. To do this however he hast to get married as George is a widower. The marriage is something that Bill is not in favour of, as he still misses his mother. In addition the marriage gives him a new sister whom he is not very fond of.

The book goes into a fair bit of detail with regard to the trials that a homesteading family would actually  have to go through, such as acquiring the land, breaking it, converting the ground into viable soil, planting crops, etc.

I don't remember exactly when the first time was I read this book, but it was many years ago. At the time, from what I can remember, I wasn't overly fond of it. Upon reading it again though I find that is quite well written, and gives a good idea of what her family would really have to go through. I don't know whether Mr. Heinlein actually knew anybody who had homesteaded, but the detail in the book makes me think that he did.

I believe this book is a very good recommendation for a teenager, who likes or would like to explore classic Science Fiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. But please check out the page entitled "A Comment About Comments" up at the top.

Going on Hiatus

 Greetings, I have decided to put a hold on doing further book reviews for a while. In fact I'm not sure if I will resume doing reviews ...