2020-05-04

"Agent to the Stars" by John Scalzi



Publisher: Tom Doherty, New York
Copyright Date:©2005
ISBN: 9780765357007
Characteristics: 385 pages

I am fairly certain that this is first book of John Scalzi's that I read. I am not so certain however, how I came across it, but chances are that I was browsing the shelves at the library. I've always been quite interested in stories that feature first contact scenarios, and this is likely what drew me to the story. Since that time, which was probably about 4 years ago or so, I've read the story a coupe more times, and each reading has brought a new enjoyment at the plotting, and the characters.

The story revolves around a peaceful alien race that wants to contact Earth, but as one of the aliens puts it "We have seen The Blob, and it is us". Add to this the fact that they communicate olfactorily and you have a nice little problem to solve.

It think I've alway enjoyed first contact stories, but sadly the vast majority of them are ones that focus on the military. Those that offer the scenario up in a peaceful manner are somewhat few and far between.

Mr. Scalzi has written a very enjoyable book here, that I'm sure will appeal to readers throughout the science fiction arena. I would highly recommend you check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. But please check out the page entitled "A Comment About Comments" up at the top.

Going on Hiatus

 Greetings, I have decided to put a hold on doing further book reviews for a while. In fact I'm not sure if I will resume doing reviews ...