2021-09-13

"The Goddess and the Bull Çatalhöyük: An Archaeological Journey to the Dawn of Civilization" by Michael Balter

 


Publisher: Free Press
Copyright: 2005
ISBN: 0743243609

I stumbled across this book while snooping through the shelves on Anthropology, and thought that it looked interesting. I was soon to be pleasantly surprised as it was much more than that, in fact it was extremely hard to put down even when I knew I had to get up for work the next morning. Having a degree in Anthropology explains why I was snooping in the above set of shelves, but having graduated close to 30 years ago I had never been exposed to the work at Çatalhöyük, much to my regret.

This book details the many years spent at the Çatalhöyük dig, and gives fascinating insights into the various people who worked there, their theories, and the amasing discoveries they found. Mr. Balter's book will I'm certain appeal to many readers both those in the field fo archaeology as well as regular citizens who are simply interested in prehistory.

While I have no influence at all in choosing books, I would highly recommend this book be used in an introductory archaeology course to give the students a taste of what a real archaeological dig can be like (especially one that spans multiple decades). 

I'm definitely going to look for any other books Mr. Balter has written, as his writing style is captivating and very informative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. But please check out the page entitled "A Comment About Comments" up at the top.

Going on Hiatus

 Greetings, I have decided to put a hold on doing further book reviews for a while. In fact I'm not sure if I will resume doing reviews ...