2022-07-25

"The Black Witch" by Laurie Forest


 

Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Copyright: 2017
ISBN: 9780373212316

The Black Witch was a very interesting book to read. When I started it, I at first I thought it was going to be a Harry Potter-ish style a book with a teenager figuring out they have magic powers, going to school, and then finally saving the world. However, I was pleasantly surprised approximately a quarter way into the book when I realized it was more of a study of cultural norms, politics, and racism.

There is of course magic, wands, elves, etc. after all it is a fantasy novel, but while they do play major parts in the story, we thankfully aren't treated to exhaustive descriptions of what elves are etc. as Ms. Forest treats her readers as if this isn't the first fantasy book they ever read. There is teen romance, but while it does play a significant part int he plot, it also looks at things such as arranged marriages (called wand-fasting in the book), and so on.

This is the first book in a trilogy, so it looks as if things are off to a good start, and I look forward to reading the next instalment.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. But please check out the page entitled "A Comment About Comments" up at the top.

Going on Hiatus

 Greetings, I have decided to put a hold on doing further book reviews for a while. In fact I'm not sure if I will resume doing reviews ...