2023-04-10

"Good Arguments" by Bo Seo


 

Publisher: Penguin Press
Copyright: 2022
ISBN: 9780593299517

This was a very interesting book, as well as a look into the life of a professional debater. Which is not something I had ever read about before, making it doubly interesting as it explained the debate procedure in great detail, and makes me wish that I had been exposed this when I was in junior high school and high school etc. as it sounds like something I would've really liked doing.

The story unfolds and traces the authors introduction to professional debating and how he progressed through the various levels until he got through University, by which time he had won many awards.

After we explore this the tone of the book changed to one where the author examines debating in today's society and how it could benefit people in general as well as corporations and so on. It was quite interesting to read about the number of public figures who started out or participated in debating which in most cases helped them achieve the goals they had set for themselves. Figures such as Barack Obama, Malcolm X, Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton and many more.

Bo Seo then goes on to talk briefly about the IBM computer based debating machine and how it fared against live opponents.

I would highly recommend it to anybody who has any aspirations for public office, those dealing with clients, as well as university students etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. But please check out the page entitled "A Comment About Comments" up at the top.

Going on Hiatus

 Greetings, I have decided to put a hold on doing further book reviews for a while. In fact I'm not sure if I will resume doing reviews ...