2023-10-16

"Once Upon Tome: The Misadventures of a Rare Bookseller" by Oliver Darkshire

 


Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company
Copyright: 2022
ISBN: 9781324092070

This was extremely interesting book to read that gives the reader a rare perspective into the workings of antiquarian bookstore, in this case Sotheran's in London which was established in 1761.

I've always been fascinated with books, and I can blame my parents for this as my mother especially was one of the people who encouraged my reading. Not sure how this exactly it morphed into my becoming a book collector myself, but it did and after reading this book one of the first things I want to do is go visit Sotheran's in London and spend a few days looking through their collection. I only really envision two possible problems with this first it's in London which is in a different country, and second I have to take a rather large suitcase (or more likely a large trunk) with me because I'm very sure that I would be bringing a vast number of books home. Not that I need any more books at home but I would bring them back. For those who have read this book I am definitely a Smaug (a general collector of books), propose to a Dracula who has very specific interests.

However, back to the book review. As I stated above I found this book extremely interesting to read, and some of the adventures that Mr. Darkshire has been through while employed at Sotheran's make his profession all the more interesting.

This is definitely a book worth reading, especially for any one interested in books, and especially antiquarian bibliophiles.

A great read, highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are always welcome. But please check out the page entitled "A Comment About Comments" up at the top.

Going on Hiatus

 Greetings, I have decided to put a hold on doing further book reviews for a while. In fact I'm not sure if I will resume doing reviews ...